Nowadays, accessing your own text messages without having your phone is simple. You only need to set up a companion app on your PC or tablet to get started.
However, the same cannot be said when you want to read someone else’s text messages. But that doesn’t mean you can’t view them if you need to.
Is It Legal To Read Someone’s Text Messages Without Their Phone?
Snooping through someone’s texts isn’t always comfortable for a variety of reasons. For one, the person may feel like you don’t trust them enough if they catch you.
In addition, you may not always have enough time to go through all texts since everyone keeps their phones close.
Regardless, there are times when it is both legal and necessary. And in most cases, people do it to ensure the safety of their loved ones.
Parents who wish to protect their children’s online activities are good examples. With all the social media platforms today, kids can easily end up talking to the wrong people online.
It is thus up to the parents to monitor who their children interact with online to keep them safe. In this case, reading their sent and received text messages can help parents know what their kids are up to.
Fortunately, texts aren’t the only things you’ll be able to monitor with these SMS trackers without access to the target phone. You’ll also be able to view their call logs, recent locations, and much more.
This information will be invaluable if you’ve suspected your child is being cyberbullied. It can also help draw boundaries that will keep your child safer.
But while the use of these SMS tracker apps is legal in the U.S., you should always consult with your local laws.
How to Read Someone’s Text Messages Without Their Phone Using mSpy
There are high chances that the phone you wish to spy on is either running on Android or iOS. That’s simply because they are the two most popular smartphone operating systems.
However, this is what makes the process different depending on the OS of the target phone. This also means that the requirements may vary too.
- One-time access to the target phone for 5-10 minutes (Android)
- Spy app subscription
- iCloud credentials (iOS)
How To Intercept Text Messages on Android
To read text messages from another phone, you’ll need to use a spy app like mSpy. However, getting hold of the app is just one step of the process.
Below are the 5 steps you should follow to start reading someone’s text without their phone:
- Step 1: Purchase a Subscription Plan
- Step 2: Prepare Target Android Phone
- Step 3: Download and Install App on The Target Phone
- Step 4: Complete mSpy Setup
- Step 5: Start Reading Texts From The Target Device
Step 1: Purchase a Subscription Plan
The first step to view text messages from another phone is purchasing a subscription plan for the text message spy app. As such, here is how you should go about that:
- Visit mSpy’s website and create an account using your email address.
- Select the OS of the target device you wish to monitor i.e. Android
- Choose a subscription plan that you feel will adequately meet your needs i.e. Basic or Premium plan
- Complete the payment for your selected plan. mSpy will then send the order details and instructions to your email.
Step 2: Prepare Target Android Phone
Before reading text messages from another phone without them knowing, you need to alter a few settings on the Android device. This is how to do that:
- Open the app drawer and tap to open the Play Store app.
- On Play Store, tap on the hamburger menu then select Play Protect.
- Click on the gear icon on the top right side of the screen. This reveals Play Protect settings.
- Disable the following settings:
- Scan apps with Play Protect
- Improve harmful app detection
Step 3: Download and Install App on The Target Phone
You need to install mSpy on the target device before you can track text messages. However, this step will require a link you received in Step 1 above.
- Open Google Chrome app on the target cell phone.
- Paste in the link that mSpy sent to your email on Chrome’s address bar and hit enter.
- Complete mSpy’s security challenge to reveal the Download button.
- Click on the Download button then open the APK file to begin the installation process.
- Tick the “Allow from this source” checkbox then click next.
- Grant mSpy all the permissions it requires then finally click Install to complete the process.
Step 4: Complete mSpy Setup
Like many other spy apps, mSpy also has its own custom settings. You get to choose your preferred settings on the target cell phone before proceeding. To finalize the setup, do the following:
- Tick the “Accept license agreement” checkbox.
- Choose which of mSpy’s 2 custom features you want activated. i.e.:
- Stealth mode
- Key in the registration code mSpy sent to your email to authenticate your account on the target phone.
- Tap “Complete Installation” once you’ve chosen your ideal settings to finalize the setup.
Step 5: Start Reading Text Messages From The Target Device
Now comes the part where you can spy on someone without having their phone. But to do that, you will need to access mSpy’s control panel. This is how to get started:
- After logging in, click “Text Messages” on the left sidebar.
- Click on any of the messages under a conversation you wish to read
How to Intercept Text Messages on iOS
On iOS, you can also read someone’s texts from another phone without them knowing. However, you’ll be able to do so without installing any app and even without touching their phone. Below are the 3 main steps:
- Step 1: Choose a Subscription Plan
- Step 2: Enter the iCloud Credentials
- Step 3: Start Monitoring Someone’s Text Messages
Step 1: Choose a Subscription Plan
Similar to the case with Android phones, you need an active subscription before you can spy on someone else. Luckily, getting an mSpy subscription plan for iOS is simple.
- Visit mSpy’s website and create an account by using a valid email address
- On the registration wizard, select iOS as the OS you’ll be monitoring.
- Choose any one of the 2 available subscription plans i.e. Basic and Premium plans.
- Complete the payment to receive both the order details and login details in your email.
Step 2: Enter the Target Phone’s iCloud Credentials
To begin the phone monitoring process, you need to have the iCloud account of the target phone. If you already have the credentials, here are the next steps to follow:
- Prepare the target iPhone by first matching these settings on the device:
- Two-factor authentication – Disabled
- iCloud backup – Enabled
- Key in the credentials of the iCloud account when mSpy prompts for access
- Click the Verify button to check if the credentials are valid.
If the credentials are valid, mSpy will start collecting data from the target iPhone and populate it on the dashboard.
Step 3: Start Monitoring Text Messages
The final step is reading the collected text messages online. And this is the easiest part since mSpy is one of the many spy apps that has an easy to use dashboard.
To begin, do the following:
- Login to your mSpy account
- Click on “Text Messages” on the left sidebar to view a list of all conversations from the target iPhone.
- Select a single conversation to view all sent and received messages under it.
What Makes mSpy a Good Pick?
There are hundreds of spy apps in the market. But mSpy stands tall among them, and in a big way too.
And that may be partly because of these three things:
- The no root/jailbreak requirement
- Easy installation
- The vast range of features
No Jailbreak or Rooting
With mSpy, you don’t need to root or jailbreak your phone to read someone’s incoming and outgoing messages. This makes your work far easier since installation is the only task.
However, it’s worth mentioning that mSpy does offer a few extra features on rooted or jailbroken phones. Advanced features like Geofencing, for instance, may require a jailbroken iPhone but will work fine on non-rooted Android devices.
mSpy’s installation is easy if you have all the necessary requirements. Though the requirements differ depending on OS, the process is fairly straightforward on Android and iOS.
In addition, you’ll take about 5-10 minutes to complete the installation. And this is huge considering you may not have access to the target phone for too long.
Wide Range of Spy Features
mSpy can help you read someone’s text messages without their phone easily. But that’s not it.
The app packs a few more features that can help you monitor your target user even better. Below are the ones that stood out:
Reading Messaging Apps
From WhatsApp to Viber and Messenger, mSpy can capture texts from several social media apps. This means you can read text messages sent on social media too.
In addition to reading texts, you can also view the target’s current location. This allows you to track their location history along with when they sent the texts.
mSpy allows you to view a list of all installed apps on the target phone. However, it also lets you block any that you don’t want your child to use.
You can see all incoming and outgoing calls from the target phone. But that’s not all. mSpy also lets you view the address book on the target device as well.
Is It Legal to Use a Spy App?
In the U.S., it is legal to use these apps to monitor your children’s online activities. In addition, you can use them to monitor someone’s messages with consent.
However, if you don’t reside in the U.S., you may need to confirm with your local laws first.
Can I View Deleted Messages with mSpy?
Yes, mSpy can let you view deleted messages. But the only requirement is that mSpy needs to have been installed before the messages were deleted.
mSpy keeps a separate log of all messages that were sent or received from the target’s phone. This is how you’re able to see the deleted texts.
Will the Target Know I’m Using mSpy?
It won’t be easy for the target user to detect that mSpy was installed on their device. And this is mainly due to mSpy’s ability to run in the background.
On top of it all, mSpy’s app icon won’t be available in the app drawer or app list. Therefore, he/she won’t suspect that you’re monitoring their text messages.
How Many Devices Can You Monitor with mSpy?
You can monitor up to three devices using mSpy on their Family Kit plan. However, its basic and premium subscriptions are available if you only want to monitor one device.
How Long Does mSpy Take to Update the Messages?
mSpy gives you the freedom to choose how often you’d like to get updates. By default, the no jailbreak versions update after every 12 – 24 hours.
But while jailbreak/root gives you more capabilities, you shouldn’t choose an interval that is too frequent. This is because it will draw excessive battery power and raise suspicion.
Must You Root / Jailbreak Your Phone to Use mSpy?
Root or jailbreak isn’t compulsory for using mSpy to read someone’s text messages.
Nevertheless, rooting / jailbreaking does come with a few perks. It will allow you to monitor activities on social media apps like Messenger.
The bottom line is that it’s fairly easy to read someone’s texts without installing software on their phone. A spy app like mSpy is really all you need to get started.
However, the app still has a lot to offer in terms of features. And these may give you deeper insights into your child’s online activities.