It doesn’t matter if you are a super sleuth looking to track down a person of interest or just someone that tends to misplace their phone a lot; everyone can benefit from the GPS phone tracking capabilities that are already found on your phone. To make the most out of your GPS tracking apps and software and track them by phone number, you need to gather all the information available to use it properly.
Depending on the situation that you are in, different methods are going to be more useful to track in specific situations. Discover what to do before you lose your phone. How to find it after it’s already gone, or if you are trying to locate someone else.
How to track the GPS location of a cell phone
The only way to have peace of mind that you are going to be able to track a lost or stolen phone is if you prepare it ahead of time with the appropriate tracking system. There are different apps for different kinds of devices, so find out the most suitable one:
These are all the GPS tracking software types that are preloaded on the newest model cell phones. All iOS devices version 5 or higher have this on them.
Each of these is operated at no cost. You have to be sure to set up an account and keep the program running at all times. This software provides various options. You decide which one is right when you know the features that you need.
There are free apps that track a simple location and a few remote actions can be carried out, or you can go more in-depth with real spy applications that not only track but allow you access to the phone itself like checking text messages and reviewing call logs. Make sure to find a spying app that is perfect for your needs.
Best GPS phone trackers
Auto Forward is one of the best GPS phone tracker apps available. This app allows you to monitor target devices from the comfort of your cellphone with minimal hassle. In our review of Auto Forward, we found out that it doubles as one of the premier GPS phone trackers around.
- Tracks GPS location within 50 feet of the actual device location.
- Monitors calls, SMS, and even social media activity.
- Gives access to photo and video logs and even view contact information.
Compatible with all Android & iPhone devices.
Hoverwatch app is a free phone tracker that enables you to monitor all activity on the target device. You can track GPS location, social media activity, call logs, and much more. In our detailed review of Hoverwatch, we shared further details on how the app works across Android, Windows, and Mac operating systems.
- The app remains entirely invisible to the person you are going to track.
- Has geolocation features that enable you to track the phone with accurate precision.
- Budget-friendly plans that meet the needs of all categories of users.
GPS Phone Tracker
This handy app allows you to find your lost or stolen phone. Using the latest GPS technology, this app enables the user to track any target device efficiently. That helps you keep your family members safe.
- Efficient tracking of all target devices.
- Works with Android 4.4 and up.
- It provides safety to your near and dear ones.
Phone GPS Tracker
Yet another free GPS phone tracking software, this app can come handy to track down and locate a lost or stolen device. It can also be used to keep tabs on your family members. You can even communicate with the person on the other end of the line.
- Track your target from any internet-enabled devices such as a computer, tablet, or phone.
- It allows you to track the phone in real-time.
- Let’s the user receive and manage shared tasks.
This GPS tracker app allows you to share location, navigate routes, and follow contacts via GPS in real-time. This tool is the perfect way to build coordination among mobile teams and navigate unknown terrain. It can also be used to track and locate stolen or lost devices.
- A real-time GPS tracker for personal as well as professional use.
- Route recording facilities and activity notifications.
- Panic button that sends your location to contacts in the case of an emergency.
How does the GPS phone tracker app work?
To get started, find the application on your cell and ensure that the GPS is, turned on. Then, create an account on the web that you will be able to access from any device over the net. Log in to this program and have a visual control panel with a plethora of actions that you can take. These free GPS software apps allow you to:
- Lock the phone;
- Display a message on the phone for someone that finds it to see;
- Erase email, text messages, and other private information;
- Call the phone if it is nearby and you might be able to hear it ring.
How to track a cell phone without GPS phone trackers?
Often the best tracking device for phones can be your phone itself. The latest phones all come with built-in mechanisms that allow the user to track their phones in case they are lost or stolen.
All three major smartphone variants carry this type of service. For Android users, it is Android Device Manager; for iPhone, the service comes as Find My iPhone, and for Samsung, we have Samsung Find My Mobile.
Each of these built-in software services allows the users of these specific brands to track and locate their devices in case of misplacement. Further, as these are built-in services, they are free of charge.